School Sport not only provides health and physical benefits, but also personal and leadership skills which are essential for the well-rounded development of young people.
The P.E. department offer a broad range of team and individual sports and activities to pupils during the school day, as well as organising regular inter-school matches and fixtures in a range of sports. Through our sports fixtures and clubs, we look to develop, focus and reflect on six sporting values: Teamwork, Respect, Self-belief, Passion, Honesty, Determination.
Pupils from the school also successfully compete at local and regional sporting events. As a result, the school has been awarded the Gold Award for Participation and Competition for the last three years by Birmingham Local Authority.
St George's Sports History
St George's School has been awarded the Gold School Games Mark and the Pathway to Podium Gold Commitment badge as part of 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games for recognising the Schools engagement and delivery of PE and competitive school sport.
We have competed in 11 different sports during 2022/23 in Football, Basketball, Table Tennis, Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Athletics, Netball, Tennis, Cricket, Rounders and Ultimate Frisbee involving both boys and girls. There has been 185 fixtures and competitive events organised during the 2022-2023 academic year.
We are proud of our School ethos and aim to give all students the opportunity to play and improve with fixtures for A and B teams, alongside Inclusive Teams. One hundred and eighty-three students across Years 7-11 have represented a school team in 2022-2023. In addition, 181 pupils regularly participate in extra-curricular activities. There are 15 extra-curricular sports clubs every week including football, basketball, table tennis, tennis, cricket, dodgeball, running, tchoukball and volleyball.
We are extremely proud of our pupils for their dedication to all aspects of school sport, including our Sports Leaders & Captains.
To find out more about our sporting achievements click here.
- Birmingham Schools U16 Boys Division 1 Champions
- Birmingham Schools U13 Boys Division 2 Champions
- Central Birmingham School Games U16 Boys Team Champions
- Central Birmingham U13 Boys Indoor Athletics Runners Up
- Jr. NBA U12 West Midlands Conference League Runners Up & West Midlands Play-offs Quarter Finalists
- Jr. NBA U13 Midlands Finalists - 4th Place Overall
- U14 Boys School Games Central Birmingham 5v5 Champions
- U15 Boys LTA Team Tennis Birmingham Champions & Midlands Runners Up
- U13 Boys LTA Team Tennis Birmingham Schools Runners Up
- U9 Mini Tennis Central Birmingham School Games Champions
- U15 Boys Softball Cricket League Finalists